I love having chicken on hand to toss into salads, quesadillas, or even a pot of macaroni and cheese. This versatile oven-roasted chicken recipe is a great way to cook a batch of chicken that you can use in a meal or store for later just as easily.
If you aren’t a fan of chicken you can find a similar method on this site for beef, potatoes, or even tofu! A simple garlic butter preparation is another great option if you aren’t quite a fan of the zing that the Italian dressing gives to this oven-roasted chicken breast.Jump to Recipe
How to Make Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
You can use any brand of Italian dressing that you prefer with this recipe. There are tons of great low-fat and organic options available out there to choose from. I enjoy using Kraft’s Tuscan Italian dressing as I really like the spices used in that one.
If you want to avoid the dressing entirely you can season your chicken with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and a little bit of olive oil.
1 lb chicken breast
3/4 C Tuscan Italian dressing
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
Put the chicken breast pieces into a large mixing bowl and add the Italian dressing. Use a spatula to toss the chicken until it is evenly coated in the Italian dressing.
Cover the bowl and let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the coated chicken breast and toss the mixture again with a spatula to evenly distribute the seasoning over the chicken.
Spread the chicken breast pieces out evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking tray and cook for about 26 minutes. Use a spatula to stir the chicken halfway throughout the cooking time.
You want the chicken to read around 165 degrees on a meat thermometer to ensure that it is fully cooked as oven times can vary.
How to Store Oven Roasted Chicken
This recipe should be stored in a cool location like the fridge for food safety purposes. This chicken will last for about 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
It should make it for about a month or so in the freezer. Depending on the way(s) that you plan to use it it may be worthwhile to separate it into portions before freezing.
Versatile Oven Roasted Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast
- ¼ C Tuscan Italian dressing
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch sized pieces.
- Put chicken in a large mixing bowl and add the Italian dressing. Use a spatula to toss until the chicken is fully coated.
- Cover the bowl and chill this mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the dressing coated chicken and toss again with the spatula to evenly distrubute the spice blend.
- Spread out evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 26 minutes. Use a spatula to stir the chicken at about 13 minutes, or half way through the baking time. You want the chicken to read around 165° on a meat thermometer to ensure that it is fully cooked as oven times may vary.