In our house, it’s always a good night for taco night. I don’t know what it is about Mexican spices and flavors but I could eat them every day of the week and never get tired of them. Of course, there’s always the traditional ground beef taco but we like to kick things up a notch with these Instant Pot shredded beef tacos.
This recipe is so simple and versatile that it’s great to use with chicken as well! You can alter the spices used to make it as mild or spicy as you like as well. It’s all-around a great family-friendly weeknight dinner!Jump to Recipe
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Beef Tacos
I know that nowadays ( since the pandemic ) it can be a little hard to find ( or afford ) a London Broil. Totally fine! Other cuts of beef that work just as well with this recipe are chuck roast or even a brisket. A flank steak will work in a pinch too.
Of course, as mentioned above this recipe does awesome with chicken too! You can alternate the beef with chicken breasts or thighs and the beef broth with chicken broth or vegetable broth.
1-2 lb London Broil
1 C beef broth
1 T cumin
1 T paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 can Rotel chilis and diced tomatoes
Turn the saute function of the Instant Pot on and allow it to reach the appropriate temperature. You can check that it is ready by flicking a little bit of water into the Instant Pot cooking bowl. If it just kind of sits there you need to give it some time. If it sizzles then you’re ready to go!
Brown the beef on all sides ( this should take about 2 minutes per side ). You may need to cut it down into smaller pieces for it to fit properly into the Instant Pot. That’s totally fine. We’re going to be shredding it anyway!
( If you prefer you can do this step on the stovetop, but why dirty up another pan when the Instant Pot can do it all?)
Place the browned beef, diced tomatoes, broth, and spices into the cooking bowl of the Instant Pot. Set the pressure to high and cook for 22 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally ( usually about 10 minutes ) and then remove the lid from the Instant Pot.
Now, you can shred the beef any way that you prefer. I like to just toss it into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and blend on low speed for a few minutes. It’s a great mess-free simple way to shred any meat.
Return the shredded beef to the Instant Pot and let rest in the cooking juices and spices for another 5 minutes or so before serving.
How to Store Instant Pot Shredded Beef Tacos
You can store this shredded beef recipe in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 to 4 days. If you prefer to freeze it for a later meal it should last for about 2 to 3 months.
If you are only using a little bit at a time you want to be sure to only thaw out the portion that you are using. Once you thaw and microwave-cooked meats it’s best to toss them rather than trying to refreeze for food safety reasons.
Instant Pot Shredded Beef Tacos
- 1-2 lb London broil
- 1 C beef broth
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 can Rotel chilis and diced tomatoes
- Turn the sautee function of the instant pot on and allow it to reach the appropriate temperature.
- Brown the beef on all sides in the instant pot. You may have to cut it down into smaller sizes for it to fit. If you prefer you can do this step on the stovetop.
- Place all of the browned London Broil into the instant pot and add the tomatoes, beef broth, and spices into the instant pot.
- Cook using the pressure cooking function of the Instant Pot for 22 minutes and let the steam natually release once it has finished ( this should take about 10 more minutes)
- Remove the beef to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on at low speed to gently shred the beef. Alternatively you can use a fork or other kitchen tool commonly used to shred beef.
- Return the beef to the instant pot and let sit for about 5 minutes to reabsorb a bit more of the juice and spices.
- Serve with taco fixings of your choice.