You know I’m at it again with the peanut butter and chocolate. I just can’t get enough of this combination! This one is a little on the healthier side though! I’m not a fan of plain bananas. I love them in banana bread or in nice cream. I just can’t do a banana as a snack though. These healthy peanut butter chocolate banana bites are one of my favorite ways to have a super tasty frozen banana snack on hand all summer.
This is a great treat to have on hand for kids during the summer. It’s a nice cool little bite that is a little bit healthier than ice cream bars or sugary popsicles. It’s also a great way to sneak a little bit of chocolate into your diet if you’re trying to lose a little bit of summer weight. ( because diet or not, we all need a little chocolate. )Jump to Recipe
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites
Yes, you absolutely can have peanut butter and chocolate in something and still call it healthy-ish. There are a few things that I do to help keep this recipe as healthy as possible. For one, I always use natural peanut butter when I am baking or making peanut butter bites.
This helps keep extra sugar, hydrogenated oil, and preservatives out of the food I am making. Any time you can keep things close to the basic ingredients it goes a long way to keep things healthier!
This recipe uses such a small amount of chocolate on each treat that I don’t see it as an issue. If you want to make it a little bit healthier though you can switch the milk chocolate chips to cacao nibs.
2 medium fresh bananas
1 1/2 C milk chocolate chips
1/2 C natural peanut butter
Chop the bananas into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Use a spatula to spread peanut butter onto the top of each of your banana slices. You can do as much or as little as you want here, just keep in mind that we are going to be using 2 banana slices in each treat so you don’t want it to be too thick.
Put two banana slices together ( with the peanut butter sides facing each other ) to form a little peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Place the banana sandwiches on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. This will make them a little bit easier to cover with the chocolate.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-minute intervals ( or use a double boiler ). Dip each of the banana sandwiches into the chocolate and then return them to the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Once all of the banana sandwiches have been covered in chocolate you can put the whole thing back into the fridge for another 30 minutes to an hour to help the chocolate harden.
How to Store Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites
It’s best to keep your newly made peanut butter chocolate banana bites in an airtight container in the freezer. I like to keep them on parchment paper to keep them from sticking together, but that’s totally up to you.
Since it is a frozen treat this will last for quite a while. You should be able to keep them for about a month or two with no problem.
Semi-Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Snacks
- 2 med fresh bananas
- 1½ C milk chocolate chips
- ½ C natural peanut butter
- Chop both of the bananas into about ½-inch thick slices.
- Use a spatula to spread peanut butter on top of each of your banana slices.
- Combine your banana slices into little sandwiches by pressing the peanut butter side of two banana slices together.
- Place your little peanut butter and banana sandwiches on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals being sure to stir between each interval.
- Remove the banana sandwiches from the refrigerator and dip each one in the melted chocolate. You can use a toothpick to help completely coat the bananas in chocolate.
- Return each of you chocolate-covered banana sandwiches to the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has completely set.